Viruses - The Flu of Computer Security
Viruses are the colds and flus of computer security: ubiquitous, at times impossible to avoid despite the best efforts and often very costly to an organization's productivity.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology recommends using a two-tiered approach for detecting and preventing viruses from spreading:
- On personal computers, install and use anti-virus software capable of scanning disks, attachments to email, files downloaded from the web, and documents generated by word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Use anti-virus software at Internet gateways or firewalls to scan email attachments and other downloaded files.
Anti-virus software should be installed when the personal computer is initially configured. The software should be updated weekly with new virus definitions, and your vendor may provide an automated update feature. Organizations may benefit from using several brands of anti-virus software.
For an updated website of virus information, check out the Symantec virus database. The WildList site provides a list of viruses that are currently loose "in the wild" or active and infecting systems at the current moment.
You can read the NIST disclaimer about this information here.
Virus Resources & Other Areas of Interest
- About.com: Anti-Virus Software
- Aladdin Security Portal
- AntiVirus Online
- Computer Associates' Virus Information Center
- European Insitute for Computer Anti-Virus Research (EICAR)
- EICAR 2000 Conference
- Hideaway.Net - McAfee AVERT Research Center
- Virus Bulletin
- VirusT.com (Virus Talk Computer Virus Forums)
- West Coast Labs' Checkmark
- WildList Organization International
- WW / ISAC
- Aladdin Knowledge Systems
- ALWIL Software
- Attest Systems, Inc.
- Bokler Software
- Central Command
- Computer Associates
- Dr. Solomon's
- Elegant Communications Inc.
- GFI Fax & Voice
- Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.
- Panda Software
- PestPatrol - SaferSite
- Quick Heal
- Safetynet Security
- SecureComputing, Inc.
- Security Solutions Online
- Touch Technologies, Inc.
- Trend Micro
- VirusStriker Anti Virus Corporation
- Zone Labs
More Computers / Technology Articles
Anti spam filters are very important for any person or small business who is looking to thin out the unsolicited mail they receive. Anti-spam software for lotu ...
The Internet has taken its place beside the telephone and television as an important part of people's lives. Consumers use the Internet to shop, bank and invest ...
What should you look for when evaluating the quality of health information on Web sites? Here are some suggestions based on our experience.
This artic ...
Your father has protected you your entire life. From teaching you how to ride a bike or shoot your first free throw to sending you off to college or giving you ...
Online marketing courses are something that any owner of a Web site should take advantage of. A good online marketing course can help ensure your ...
Viruses are the colds and flus of computer security: ubiquitous, at times impossible to avoid despite the best efforts and often very costly to an organization' ...